[As always, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar-free!]
When you’re faced with one of the big challenges of your life, you must remember the practices that make you healthy and happy.
Thus far, studying for the bar exam is one of the biggest challenges of my life. Not only is the studying a challenge, but maintaining balance, keeping up with other commitments, and practicing my values is where I come up against the hurdles.
One of the most important lessons: life does not have to be so difficult and if you’re making it more difficult, why? While challenge is essential for a life of learning and growth, sometimes you have to give yourself a break.
This weekend, I thought it was important to give myself a break, still maintaining my balance. With only six ingredients, this salad is super easy! Also, I adore these colors. When you’re staring at black and white for 15 hours a day, red, yellow, and green have never been so beautiful.
- 1/3 c quinoa, rinsed
- 2 avocados, cubed
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 15oz can organic white kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 c organic cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, or both), halved
- salt and pepper
- Boil 2/3 c water in a medium saucepan.
- While the water is boiling, toast the quinoa in a dry skillet over high heat. When you hear the quinoa start to pop, pour into the boiling water. [Keep an eye on the quinoa so it doesn’t burn.] Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Put the cubed avo in a medium bowl with the cilantro and lime.
- Fold in the beans, tomatoes, and quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
sweet and easy…
Not only are these cookies easy to make, but they’re easy to grab and go! While I regularly start my day with an alkaline green smoothie, that is not the easy that I’m looking for this week. Sometimes you need a quick, delicious, and nutritious treat to motivate you… This is it!
Per usual, modify the ingredients to your senses. Try different types of fruit and nuts and enjoy every second of your creativity!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 c coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 c dried blueberries
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 c coconut oil, warm enough to be liquid
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, grade B
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, coconut, flaxmeal, salt, pecans, and blueberries.
- Mix bananas, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Flatten 2 tablespoons of mixture onto baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Cool on pan.
Know that you don’t have to make your life so hard… easy as you go.
Happy eating, happy life!