Be clear: your feelings are real, but not permanent. These feelings can be signs of more fundamental issues, i.e. unfulfillment in your job, insecurity in relationships, discomfort with your body, etc.
When you face such obstacles head on, instead of avoiding them, you change your life.
Deciphering what needs work in the stages of development can begin this transformation. Yes, “stages of development” sounds a bit clinical, but seeing what you need to strengthen before taking a risk supports you to make profound changes.
where are you in the development cycle?
I’ll use the example of my recent career risk. My job was creating tension in my body, manifesting as sickness, sadness, and anger towards myself and others. Taking the leap to quit included awareness of each of these stages.
1) Where are you now? What’s your mindset? Are you creating or limiting change? When you develop a strong daily practice of mind and body awareness, you have a firm foundation for growth.
- Initially my thoughts were that because I went to school, worked hard, and got good grades then I must fit into this prescribed path. I let others tell me what I could do and who I should be. Before I quit, I had to discover such limiting thoughts and develop a strong meditation and yoga practice to support change. [There are many ways of cultivating awareness. These worked best for me.]
2) Where do you want to be? Discover what more is possible. Read, explore, get out of your comfort zone. Refine your vision—what do you want to change?
- I created a vision of my future. Before I could take a risky leap, I explored what exactly would make me come alive. This included talking with life coaches, therapists, body workers, and other mind/body entrepreneurs about their wins and challenges.
- I created a step-by-step process to bring mine into reality. Step one was clearing out the space that my job occupied. Step two included reading inspiring literature daily and surrounding myself with people who believe in living their dreams.
4) Are you making progress? Strengthen your accountability and self-awareness. You can develop strategies to help you reach new levels of growth. If you’ve made moves to better your life, learn how to celebrate your success.
- I’m working hard everyday to develop my new business. Sometimes I feel like I’m not working hard enough. That’s when I need to step back and congratulate myself on the work I’ve done thus far.
Working through obstacles can be frightening. Yet, when you know where you are in this cycle, you can equip yourself to take giant risks. If you’re nervous to work through this process alone or want a little support through one stage or another, don’t hesitate to reach out and seek help. You’re more than capable of taking risks and changing your life. Begin now.